
I realized I haven't written about today since October 2001, when I was sitting amongst fellow "re-located" Stuyvesant students in a classroom at Brooklyn Tech and was asked by my English teacher to do so. Today, I have nothing left of the memories of the "walk" other than the rare nightmare of a plane crash. So, eight years later, after Fajr, I tried to put myself back in the thoughts of my fourteen year old self, and this is what I wrote.
I guess you can read this for background.
They interrupted Mozart!
In second period music class,
two planes, just two buildings,
"Nothing to worry about-
send everyone to third period."
World history. The teacher
turns on our television, there is
an ominous hole.
"They can fix that, right?"
I whisper to a student.
The darkness grows outside the window
with my questions:
(How will I go back to Queens?
Is my father out there, in his cab?)
and is interrupted by flickering lights
and our screams as a shockwave
comes through from the second tower's fall.
But we sit, in world history
and watch the World fly around us,
in black garbage bags
and white
and every gradient
of steel,
and when the colossals have
collapsed, in their entirety
the chancellor says we can leave.
We're taken outside, where
the class separates within minutes,
walking backwards as we stare at the smoke.
I'm angry at my poor choice of sandals.
I'm angry because even after ten years
as a New Yorker I still
craned my neck staring up at the towers
every time I passed.
They were that grand and that
beautiful, and now they had been taken
from me and my city.
It's my first week of high school,
do I even have any good friends yet?
I look for friendly strangers.
"I just want to call my parents,
I only knew how to get home
from the World Trade Center Stop."
They give me
quarters, but my father's cell phone,
anyone's cell phone,
is not working.
So I walk to Penn Station with a family
that buys me lo mein and Snapple
Orangeade for lunch. "We'll get you to
the E. We are going to Queens, too."
But the E train they put me on was not
the one I remembered.
No comments:
Post a Comment