Sunday, May 22, 2011

Macarons! Pierre Hermé & Ladurée

I've had macarons on my list ever since I saw the cupcakes vs macarons poster on Paris vs New York, a tally of two cities. I decided to try both of the leading macaron stores in Paris, Pierre Hermé & Ladurée. Both stores have several locations in Paris and can be found fairly close to each other at the Opéra metro stop so I went there one afternoon.
I first tried the chocolate macaron (the full name is escaping me now) at Pierre Hermé. It was very rich, almost like biting into a dark chocolate truffle-- I couldn't taste much of the cake/biscuit portion of the macaron. I purchased a full box of seven flavors, including pistachio, rose and jasmine for about 18 euros- pricey considering that they are bite-size.

I didn't have time to visit the nearby Ladurée store, but got lucky the next day when I went to the Palace of Versailles. There is a small Ladurée boutique inside the palace where I was able to get a box of 6 for 14.50 euros.

I absolutely loved them! You taste more of the cake in their macarons and so they are less overwhelming compared to the the indulgent taste of Pierre Hermé. Their fillings were superb as well with hints of almond and butter. My favorites were the rose and pistachio. If you are into chocolate mousse, truffles and other creamy desserts, you will prefer Pierre Hermé...but if you are into cakes and buttercream, you will probably like Ladurée better.
Luckily for me, Ladurée is coming to Fifth Avenue this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment