Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Old Dutch Pancake House; Cupcake Review Vol. 19: Peyton & Byrne

This was supposed to be a cupcake entry but I had to mention My Old Dutch Pancake House in London. On my trip earlier this month my friend took me there on a Monday, when all pancakes are only ₤5. You get a giant pancake with your choice of toppings, chocolate sauce and ice cream. The taste is very similar to a crepe, and it was so huge I could only finish half. I recommend sharing if you go with a friend! They have both sweet and savory options.

On to the cupcakes:
Bakery: Peyton & Byrne
Location: Various throughout London, UK; I went to the Bakery at St. Pancras International Station
Rating: 7/10

Peyton & Byrne is a chain of restaurants and bakeries I came across while waiting in St. Pancras for my train to Paris. I saw the cupcakes in the window and realized that I hadn't eaten a single cupcake in London! I purchased a double chocolate and a vanilla chocolate cupcake to share with my friend Ruzina, who was waiting with me until boarding. I also threw in a blueberry muffin for the train ride (which was delicious).

I wasn't disappointed- the frosting was very light and fluffy compared to the thick buttercream we are used to here in the States. The cake was a spongecake, and so the cupcakes almost tasted like many Asian bakery cakes here in Queens. I'm not really a fan of Asian cakes. However, the chocolate flavoring was much stronger than the kind you find in Asian bakeries and that was the redeeming factor. Overall, I would eat them again! Glad I was able to try them.

2 comments:

  1. The cupcakes were really lovely, shared one with @banerji1 who loved it too, hope you'll get to meet her another time :)

    Next time you come London I'll take you to Hummingbird's, their cakes are really nice, and Cookies and Cream, ice cream parlour rather than cakes but I don't discriminate with my desserts ;)

    Ruzina x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait! see you soon inshAllah :)

    ReplyDelete