
Just something to think about. Since ancient times, liminal space has been considered to be dangerous and part of the realm of the unknown. Any doorway, or passageway between two areas for example, would be considered liminal space. It's the age old reason that brides are carried by the groom through the doorway into his home- to shield her from the "ghosts and goblins" that hide out in the between-space. This space may also serve as some sort of protection. Muslims recite prayers while entering their households or rooms with the belief that malevolent beings may not cross the barrier created after them as a result.
The only reason I'm bringing this up is because I've noticed (and I'm not sure if anyone else with pets has noticed this also), that animals love to hang out in such areas. My cat Paris frequents only doorways for her naps. In fact, she loves any doorway more than windows, couches, beds, or any other place.
Now the belief that animals are able to see beings that humans can't is rampant in Islamic lore- so I find Paris' behavior a bit disturbing. I've heard all sorts of stories- from dogs barking at jinn to owls arriving and perching outside a sick person's home, signifiying their oncoming death. The symbolism of the owl as a heralder of death, you will find, goes back to at least the Romans. Julius Caesar's death was supposedly predicted by an owl, and this is referenced by Shakespeare in his play as well: "...the bird of night did sit/Even at noonday, upon the marketplace/Hooting and shrieking." ('Julius Caesar', William Shakespeare). I sometimes see Paris react to things when there is really nothing to react to- but I may be looking too into this.
Either way, she should really learn to move because we're always tripping over and stepping on her, especially at night. And yes, I recite something when I walk into my room at night, just cause.
nice post. i have often thought about the spaces inbetween, very good reflection on our relationship to the other forms of creation on this plane.
ReplyDelete