Friday, August 7, 2009

A walk through the South Bronx

While there are many chain supermarkets, small West Indian and Hispanic groceries (the ubiquitous bodega) are on nearly every block. This one had my initials :-)

I just love walking for some reason, and I'll often go for miles just to explore new places and things. The thing is, I've never really walked for long in the Bronx because I never felt 100% safe, and there really isn't anything interesting to walk to. Lately, I've decided to just get out there and walk anyway- which is how I spent this Friday evening. By the way, I happened to pass several (at least 7) Latin American bakeries on my 6 mile walk (3 miles and back), and all but one had cupcakes. None of the frosting looked any good though- they had plain whipped cream and not buttercream!

I really liked this street for some reason.

All the rage apparently..

Furniture store window

Crossing under the subway

There are plenty of old apartment buildings (such as this one), and movie theaters from the first half of the (last) century that have been converted into retail space, laundromats, and the like. Pretty haunting to see.

Photos were taken with my really awesome 8900 BBerry.
For more on the Bronx, read my past entry on Bronx attractions here.

4 comments:

  1. Any Colombian bakeries? If so try their Almojabana, Pan de Bono, and Pan de Yuca. Those are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Almojabana is pronounced "all-mo-HA-ba-na".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't tell as I was in and out after I looked at their cupcakes. I'm pretty sure at least one was Cuban, and another was Mexican. I definitely wanna try these Colombian desserts though...and where's your Argentinian pride, you don't like their postre? (-:

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Cristian, we took years of Spanish class together- give me some cred haha.

    ReplyDelete