Thursday, September 11, 2014

onde de shoc

So here's a post that I wasn't going to make, because to be honest, it didn't even occur to me what day it was. Today was a Thursday where I was glued to my screen, rushing to put together a Powerpoint on gas margins on one day's notice (when usually it would have taken me a few.)

At 7PM I was out of work and at La Defense with a coworker who was headed to Gare de Lyon.  In conversation, I was trying to explain something completely random about the crowd on the platform and asked him to translate "shockwave" for me in French. 

He wasn't understanding, and I was running out of French synonyms, so out of nowhere I went, "well you know, on 9/11, when the towers fell, there was this force that went through lower Manhattan...how do you describe that in French?"

The sun sets late in Paris, and in my head I was still in August.  When I went home and finally logged onto Facebook, I saw the barrage of photos and updates and checked my phone for the date.  
I briefly thought of my 14 year self, how my little sisters are 14 now, and how the lights at school flickered when the shockwave came through.  

And I thought- how lucky I am to not have lost someone, to have been evacuated safely, and to be able to leave the day in my subconscious as I did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment