Thursday, November 4, 2010

Week four

So it's the fourth week since I changed my "lifestyle" so to speak and it's been easier than I thought it would be. I don't get cravings for unhealthy food and dragging myself to the gym is a pain but I haven't missed a day on my schedule.
The only downside is that I've been really bummed when it comes to emotional matters and my friend attributes the unexplained moodiness to my eating. Apparently starchy carbs keep us happy :)

Changes-
  • Lost two pounds (weight loss isn't a goal but I'll take it)
  • Fat has gone down a LOT; I'm toned overall & have oblique cuts :)
  • My yoga pants are all loose- they were nearly skin tight before haha
  • I can do five real pushups- when I started I could barely do 1 assisted pushup
I know those aren't exact measurements up there but I'm too lazy to get out a measuring tape and track inches and such.
I should mention one other problem- my dad is upset I don't eat South Asian food as much and my mom is also offended that I've cut back on her cooking. My friend Sanam came over today for lunch. When my dad saw that I was eating only chicken and not the potato curry he pretty much yelled at me in front of her and I broke down crying. It's not like I enjoy giving up white basmati rice, which I've had all my life as a staple of my mom's Bangladeshi cooking. I guess desi parents don't like to see their kids cut back on food nor are they really open to change most of the time.

I think my dad felt bad about getting mad at me though because when he came home today he bought a huge tub of fat free greek yogurt because "it's healthy and you should have it with honey." I love him :)

P.S. I definitely recommend Prevention magazine- it's purse-sized (smaller than an iPad) and has lots of easy recipes and workout plans for women. I started getting the issues in the mail without having ordered them, so I'll probably get billed for them later or something. I'm not complaining though- honestly the most useful magazines I've received!
Here's my favorite tip from last month's issue: Before you eat something, think about how you will feel immediately after eating it- and then ask yourself if you would still be healthy if you kept eating it every day for the rest of your life. For some reason going over that thought has helped me resist a lot of my old haunts, like potato chips.

P.P.S. I had a delicious red velvet cupcake today from Cupcake Stop- a little present from Sanam! I allow myself one sweet a day- although I'm sure a Cupcake Stop cupcake counts as like three servings of a sweet.

1 comment:

  1. that's what i should have thought when i downed three donuts last night. 220 calories.....EACH

    ReplyDelete