Today is my friend (and roommate from college) Jillian’s 23rd birthday- she had a little party last night at her place in the UES. Good times! I got into a fight with a dude over a parking spot though (I won). I was going to bake her cupcakes but was short on time, so my friend Lena suggested Oreo Truffles. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of these before; they tasted absolutely amazing and were so easy to make. I didn’t know what to expect them to taste like, but this is the best way I can explain it- it’s like a chocolate cheesecake and a chocolate lava cake mated and had babies.
I arranged the truffles like a ghetto version of an Edible Arrangements bouquet in a large decorative candle holder for the party. Everyone loved them and supposedly Andrew (Jill’s boyfriend) is still talking about them.
Here’s what I used- props to Lena <3:
Ingredients:
- 16 ounces of semi-sweet Baker’s Chocolate (in the baking aisle)
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese (I used Philadelphia Light)
- 18 ounces of Oreos (The 1lb 2ounce regular pack- you can use the low fat Oreos if you’d like)
- Foil or Wax Paper
Makes 24 truffles
1. Crush the Oreos into crumbs. You can use a food processor but I used a huge ladle because my mom’s food processor was malfunctioning. It took a lot of elbow grease but turned out fine.
2. Mix in the cream cheese. It will become a sticky concoction.
Now at this point you’re supposed to refrigerate it for a while but I didn’t.
3. Form the mixture into little balls (the size of regular candy truffles) and place them on an aluminum sheet.
4. Melt the Baker’s Chocolate in the microwave as directed (look on the package for instructions). Be careful not to overheat the chocolate or it might not temper right. If you use the Baker’s Chocolate Bars like I did, I suggest melting only 1 box at a time as the chocolate did get thicker as I went along.
5. Now the hard part- dipping. I’ve never dipped stuff in chocolate before so I thought it was going to be pretty easy. I tried using a toothpick to dip each of the balls but some of them fell apart (probably because I didn’t refrigerate them). So I just dropped each ball into the bowl of melted chocolate, used the spoon to ladle more chocolate on top, scooped it out with the spoon and then set it back on the foil. This method made them look the prettiest :)
That’s it! I let the chocolate harden (you’ll be able to tell if they’re ready just by looking), and then I arranged them in the candle holder before I refrigerated them for an hour or so. I sprinkled some Heath bar pieces on top to make them look less plain. Lena says she sprinkles Oreo crumbs on top.
Happy Birthday Jillian, and happy Saturday to everyone else– Lena and I are going to try out a new dinner place and watch The Backup Plan tonight :)
<3
these look so good n easy to make! i'm gonna try and make them :)
ReplyDeleteOhhhh I make those too except I use white chocolate for the outside!! SO GOOOOOD.
ReplyDelete