Bronx,
how can I leave you?
home when I had no home,
your streets I wandered,
wistful and lone.
Bronx,
are you any less beautiful,
in your decay?
brick tenements rise, crumbling from the smoke
they form your cityscape on train windows.
Bronx,
have you not inspired
the city's downtrodden?
birthplace of hip hop,
the language of the worn and resolute.
Bronx,
who will love
your ignored children?
the graffiti sets your schools ablaze
the apartment hallways are silent with grief.
Bronx,
how can I leave you
burning still, after three decades?
home when I had no home,
your streets I wandered,
wistful and lone.
***
This one is very close to my heart. If I had the presence I would make an attempt at def poetry with this but sadly I don't. I've gotten embarrassed and flustered at every poem I ever read aloud.I wrote it after I realized how many others like me, have had small beginnings in this borough, or ended up in the Bronx at some point or another in their lives- only to leave when they had the means to. I know at some point my family wants to go back to Queens, and inshAllah will be able to. But I can't help but feel an immense sadness for all the other children, just like my little sisters, that will be left behind in our far from perfect public schools and housing developments.
did you read the piece in the new york times today? -nussy
ReplyDeletelink? quite out of touch with the news as of late. bad, i know.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete*clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*
ReplyDeletenice one dude. i think if it were given the chance to be read aloud it would be well received.