Clockwise from top: carrot cake, boston cream, red velvet, and caramel macchiato
Bakery: Cupcake Stop ("NY's First Mobile Gourmet Cupcake Shoppe")
Location: Mobile, various locations in the Lower East Side and Midtown- visit website or follow on Twitter (@CupcakeStop) for details
Rating: 10/10 :)!!!!
Website: http://www.cupcakestop.com
I know this is only the fifth "review" (actually sixth, but I haven't gotten around to posting the real #5 yet, will do that later)...but I have to say, I've finally found a cupcake that beats Sweet! Everything that I found wrong with the other cupcakes is just SO right with Cupcake Stop. I mean, these cupcakes are magical :) . It's a mobile shop and yet their cakes taste much fresher than those in conventional bakeries.
I got a half dozen like I always do lol with all 4 flavors of the day: the red velvet, the carrot cake, the caramel macchiato (caramel merengue frosting with a shot of espresso- amazing, every coffee lover should have it), and the boston cream. I can't pick a favorite because they didnt have the chocolate frosted cupcakes that day, and chocolate is usually my top choice. I just wasn't too fond of the carrot cake because I've had other actual carrot cakes that tasted better. But it might just be me, because the carrot cake cupcake was Farhene's favorite (she's the older twin). Other than that, I can't choose between the other three flavors, they were all great and definitely worth trying. The buttercream frosting on the red velvet was actually creamy and not too hard or sugary (which can be sickening!), and my little sisters liked the decorative sugar on top. The rest of the flavors were quite pretty as well, as you can see from above.
By the way, my little sisters are the harshest critics because a) they are annoyingly picky eaters, even when it comes to desserts and b) they didn't want to finish Buttercup's cakes--which I enjoyed, personally. The best part is, like Sweet, they're always adding interesting new flavors and hold a monthly contest for new suggestions. This month's winning flavor was the "Starry Night" (lemon and blueberry). And they get points because leftover cupcakes go to City Harvest at the end of the day.
On an end note, I haven't tried Magnolia's yet, and their cupcakes are supposed to be "the best" in NYC. However, a friend tells me that the owner of Buttercup used to be at Magnolia's and so their cupcakes taste fairly alike. In that case, I'm gonna say it- these aren't just the best cupcakes I've ever tried, they are quite possibly the best cupcakes in Manhattan (& of course Boston, for that matter, unless someone wants to vouch for Kickass Cupcakes?). I'll let you know my opinion once I get around to Magnolia's.
P.S. The Cupcake Stop truck is getting quite popular, too, as I see people leaving the subway here in the Bronx holding their take home boxes. I'm kind of sad I don't live closer to it but then again I'd probably get real fat real fast because I'd go everyday, so I guess that's a good thing haha.
P.P.S. I like the macro setting on my camera, I've only recently discovered it. It makes me feel like I have a fancier one (:
No comments:
Post a Comment